DESIGNER – Outerwear and Casual Bottomsviews: 0
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
At the heart of one of the world’s best loved and most recognizable brands is an impeccable Product Development & Design organization. We thrive on the magic of discovering that just-right thing, and we infuse everything we do with our passion for affordable chic. We concept, develop, make and deliver the stylish new favorites that Target guests expect and deserve. We are uber-savvy trend and style experts who stay ahead of the curve, proactively identifying our market’s needs and exceeding them, every time. Join one of our dynamic and inventive teams to influence the style, quality and value that decisively position Target above the competition. Your input will have a direct and positive effect, whether on home, hardlines or apparel & accessories categories. Here, you’ll be close to the action of dreaming up and bringing to life the Target-owned brands that surprise and gratify guests, wherever and whenever they love to shop.
A role with the Design team means a big opportunity to start from scratch and create something truly original. Are you a design expert who can support your business by staying one step ahead of industry trends, new materials and techniques? Can you demonstrate the utmost attention to detail and create products that are unprecedented in the marketplace for their design and quality for the price? Then you’ll have success on our Design team who owns the design and development of all Target-owned brands, from apparel to home goods, and beauty to essentials. In close partnership with our merchant and sourcing counterparts, you’ll drive brand cohesion and continuity, ensuring that our products meet the merchant line plans, assortment strategies, price points and overall creative direction.
As a Designer, you will support and be accountable for Owned Brand product brands and/or categories that achieve overall product design strategy and merchant objectives. Under the overall direction of Design leadership, you will work with an assigned category, brand, business or guest segment and manage your own process and calendar. You will be expected to maintain a diligent approach to workload, with includes good, timely communication with internal and external partners. You’ll support and drive concepts throughout the development process, research, selection of materials/finishes, and the creation of silhouettes/form language. Using CAD/hand sketches, you’ll translate ideas for product direction. This includes preparing professional presentation boards with illustrations, CAD artwork, fabrication, and material samples. In addition, you will support and drive product designs to maintain overall creative direction, merchant line plans, assortment strategies, and price points. You’ll build brand cohesion by partnering with peers across the division to ensure continuity. In collaboration with technical designers/engineers and sourcing partners, you’ll also identify, troubleshoot and resolve product issues.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs. About You:
- 4 year Design, Fine Art or similar degree and minimum 3-8 years’ experience.
- Passion towards a trend-forward or contemporary modern esthetic.
- Computer design system skills including, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Experience in CAD illustration & hand sketching.
- Strong Knowledge of fabrics, garment construction/fit or raw materials & product production.
- Experience assimilating product feedback.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience working retail or product development environment.
- Ability to successfully work in a collaborative a fast-pace team environment
- Ability to respond to business objectives with creative, innovative and cost-effective design solutions
- Technical outerwear experience such as cold weather, parkas, all season, wet weather jackets, etc. As well as experience with sportswear and non-technical outerwear such as: Coats, dressed up jackets, leather or faux leather, faux fur, washed casual or utility jackets.
- A strong design point of view and fashion sensibility for trend right outerwear, whether it is technical, casual, or more dressed up.
- Highly organized, technical in their sketching, and have a keen attention to functional details, construction, and trim.
- A strong background and knowledge of woven fibers, fabrications, and construction.
- Experience working with import vendors.
- Some experience with garment wash and garment dye processes.
- Experience working with Denim fabric and wash development.
- Experience with yarn dye patterns and construction.
- Experience working with a big cross functional team for a large brand or vertical retailer.
THIS JOB MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE ON STYLECAREERS.COM IF IT HAS BEEN POSTED FOR MORE THAN 30 DAYS
Job Title: DESIGNER – Outerwear and Casual Bottoms
Organization: Target Corporation
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota